Sunday, September 14, 2014

Editor, Agent, and Art Director Panel: Freeing Your Creativity and Taking It to the World

Some snippets from our panel:

Lauren MacLeod:  (in reference to children's books)
I love it.  Books are very important to me.  I always loved it.  I am never going to not be here.

Jennifer Rofe:  I didn't know where to go until I met my boss, Andrea Brown...I love it and I don't want to leave.

Jennifer Rofe:  Holiday books...have a limited timeframe for how long they can be on the shelf.  Established characters are often used for holiday titles.  I would be careful with holiday books.  They are trickier than you think.

Kelly Delaney:  If you have a scary book rather than a Halloween book then you have a better chance.  I like the dark Lemony Snicket stuff - kids are scared of all kinds of things, and so focusing on that instead of Halloween I think it can work.

Rosemary Stimola: It depends on the age of the target audience...developmentally speaking, how scary is appropriate for that age group?

Rosemary Stimola:  [in reference to art notes in picture books] In order for an illustrator to have a vision, you can have some notes, but you should not be telling an artist how to visualize and create their art.  If not needed, then nothing should be said.

Kelly Delaney:  It's okay to include [art notes] if it is necessary to tell the story.

Lucy Cummins:  Don't be married to them [art notes].  Someone else might have a better idea.

Lucy Cummins:  I want every illustrator to have a dummy.  If I have worked with you on a project I will be wondering if you have a dummy.

Daniel Nayeri: [in reference to traditional publishers picking up self-published books]  When we're hearing about it on NPR...you are a small business.  At what point will your small business be bought by a larger business?

Lauren MacLeod:  As you think you are going to self-publish as a way in, for everyone in this room that is probably an imaginary dream.  It is not a secret way in.  Don't do that...if you want to self-publish and that's something you want to do, great.  If you want to do it as a back way into traditional publishing, don't.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment